Before we delve into more serious dry eye treatment options, here are a few simple self-care options that can manage minor cases of dry eye.
- Blink regularly when reading or staring at a computer screen for a long time.
- Make sure there’s adequate humidity in the air at work and at home.
- Wear sunglasses outside to reduce sun and wind exposure. Wraparound glasses are best.
- Take supplements with essential fatty acids as these may decrease dry eye symptoms.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water each day to avoid dehydration.
- Find out if any of your prescriptions have dry eye as a side effect and if so, see if you can take an alternative.